The original McCrae Lighthouse was a timber structure built in 1854 and following years of service was dismantled in sections and transported by bullock wagon to the top of nearby Arthurs Seat to be used as a lookout. The present day lighthouse, built in England in 1874 by Chance Brothers & Co of Birmingham, was transported to Australia by sea and erected on this site in 1883. The structure, which is listed on Victoria’s Historic Buildings Register, is one of two such types remaining in Australia and at 33.5 metres is the tallest building in Port Phillip Bay. The lighthouse comprises of a central circular column, housing a 120 step spiral staircase which ascends to the lantern housing. The central column is 1.5 metres in diameter and is constructed of riveted steel plate. The small brick portico at the base of the lighthouse has been added in more recent times. The lantern housing located 30.8 metres above sea level is constructed of steel and timber and is protected by a glass surround and a lead dome roof. A narrow steel balcony surrounds the lantern housing. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1994, following modernisation of other navigational aids in Port Phillip Bay. [Info]
Situated between Dromana and Rosebud it is often referred to as the Dromana or Rosebud Lighthouse, or even the South Channel Lighthouse. It certainly is not one of the prettiest lighthouses we have seen, although the surrounding beach area is.
Til next time, happy snapping