If you are a bit like me and don’t actually use your Smart Phone camera very often, this might be the App for you. Stay with me here. My Smart Phone camera is really not that great, everything is flat and lacks any real depth. I seem to get light leaks and well apart from the odd snap shot of a coffee I never really used it, until I heard about Lenka.
Lenka is a incredibly simple yet powerful, dedicated black & white camera app developed in France by world renowned photographer Kevin Abosch (kevinabosch.com) for professionals & amateurs alike, to create beautiful black & white photographs.
- Real time “What you see is what you get” preview as you shoot.
- Pinch screen to switch from rectangular “full frame” format to square format.
- Toggle between auto and manual tap to focus by tapping the “AF” button on the control panel.
- Adjust contrast manually with control slider.
- Subtle cooler/warmer Temperature Tint control slider.
- Option to take photo by pressing volume buttons.
- Edit photos (crop/rotate) and share via email or messenger and to Facebook and Twitter.
- Export photos to Instagram! (Must have Instagram on your device for this feature)
- Tap the lightbulb icon to illuminate your subjects with constant light (not flash)
Lenka does not allow for flash photography or the use of your front facing camera. These are creative decisions which speak to our artistic philosophy.
There is an Android and a iOS version and it seems to take all the bad things OUT of an image and leaves all the good stuff in. What I had considered awful photos are now artsy and creative. I tend to use it alot more. I don’t know the technicalities of it but by removing the colour you seem to get a better image.
Granted the images aren’t perfect, as I am still playing with and getting used to all the settings. I still seemed to have the brightness up too much and perhaps not enough contrast in some. The other thing is there is no Zoom, this is more like a fixed lens camera, occasionally a little frustrating, but it is supposed to be more old school and creative……….I get lazy with a zoom!But If you really like B&W (Like I do) check it out…………it’s free, so if you don’t like it, just dump it.
Til next time, happy snapping………